Bullying & Harassment
Bullying & Harassment
At Barker, bullying in all its forms - physical, emotional and verbal - is totally unacceptable.
We actively promote respect for and tolerance of individual differences. Our staff, students and parents support a climate of respect and care for others and we are committed to minimising all forms of harassment. The School has systems of pastoral care and discipline which respond immediately to cases of bullying when they arise. While recognising that the School's first priority is to support victims of bullying, the School will also provide support for the bully.
We recognise and embrace our broader pastoral responsibility in the area of Cyber Safety. At Barker we take very seriously any form of bullying and harassment through the use of technology - SMS, phone cameras, the Internet, or any form of technology where cyber stalk, luring, loss of privacy, identity theft, digital footprints and breaches of Internet security can be demonstrated. Our approach in endeavouring to meet what we see as our duty of care in the area of Cyber Safety is to concentrate on what we do best - education.
The five main areas where we directly address Cyber Safety are:
1. Internet Filtering
2. Through the School Curriculum for Pre-K to 12 - as appropriate to their age
3. Parental Awareness and Education - Introductory evenings are offered to parents on aspects of Barker Online, including the resources of the Library, the Barker Portal and strategies for use at home in the area of Cyber Safety.
4. The School Diary and advice letters to parents
Ask for Help
Students are encouraged to seek help from a person they trust if they feel they are being bullied or harassed. Don't be afraid to ask for help.
At Barker students have access to a wide range of support staff and services, including:
- Connect Group Leaders
- Heads of House
- Heads of School
- Learning Support services
- Chaplaincy team
- Health Centre
Barker has a team of Counsellors for students from Kindergarten to Year 12. The School Counsellors are located in the dedicated Careers & Counselling Centre and can be contacted on 8438 7365.
They are Registered Psychologists and provide services such as:
- Individual counselling
- Group programs
- Psycho-educational assessments
- Liaison and case management
- Referrals to external professionals and agencies
- Incident management