Sport is an integral part of life at Barker. Selection in a School team is a matter of pride. As a result, sport takes priority over other activities. Participation in sports is compulsory at Barker. Athletics, Swimming, Rugby, Football, Cricket, Tennis, Cross-Country, Basketball, Hockey, Softball and Netball are the main sports played against other schools, although there are many others offered.
Participation in team sports, healthy competition and skills development are essential elements in the development of well-balanced young people. A strong sense of sportsmanship and fair play is fostered among the whole School community.
Most sports offer several levels of interschool competition and students are carefully graded to a team that matches their individual level of skill. In addition Middle School students may compete in House Competitions in Athletics, Swimming, Rugby, Basketball, Cross-Country and Soccer.
Sports & Learning Precinct
In 2018 work will commence on a new Sports & Learning Precinct. Located in The Avenue, this modern, purpose designed and built facility will provide five indoor courts, gym and exercise spaces, rooms for dance, teaching areas, viewing platform and parking for over 150 cars.
Barker Sporting Facts
- All students participate in a Summer and a Winter Sport
- Barker's sporting facilities include six ovals, 12 tennis courts, 2 Indoor Basketball courts, an astro-turf playing field, an indoor swimming pool, a full equipped Strength and Conditioning Gymnasium, dedicated Girl's gym
- Barker Performance Program (BPP) for athletes of all abilities
- Boys compete in the CAS competition (Committee of the Associated Schools)
- Girls compete in the Independent Sports' Association (ISA) Competition and in local district and community sporting competitions.
- In 2017, Barker were runners-up at the CAS Athletics Championships, CAS Rugby and CAS Basketball and CAS 1st XI and T20 Cricket competitions.
- Several students were selected in NSW representative teams including NSW Schoolboys Rugby, U17 Cricket team and U18 NSW Metro Basketball team. Barker students were also selected in the Australian Schoolboys Rugby team and the U14 Australian Ice Hockey team
Did you know?
Rugby was first introduced in 1905. Netball and Hockey were the first girls' sports to be introduced in 1975.