Sport is an integral part of life at Barker. Selection in a School team is a matter of pride. As a result, sport takes priority over other activities. Participation in sports is compulsory at Barker. Athletics, Swimming, Rugby, Football, Cricket, Tennis, Cross-Country, Basketball, Hockey, Softball and Netball are the main sports played against other schools, although there are many others offered.
Participation in team sports, healthy competition and skills development are essential elements in the development of well-balanced young people. A strong sense of sportsmanship and fair play is fostered among the whole School community.
Most sports offer several levels of interschool competition and students are carefully graded to a team that matches their individual level of skill. In addition Middle School students may compete in House Competitions in Athletics, Swimming, Rugby, Basketball, Cross-Country and Soccer.
To view the Final and Draft Sports Fixtures click here.
Rosewood Centre - Sports & Learning Precinct
In 2018 work commenced on a new Sports & Learning Precinct. Located in The Avenue, the Rosewood Centre will be a modern, purpose designed and built facility and will provide five indoor courts, gym and exercise spaces, rooms for dance, teaching areas, viewing platform and parking for over 150 cars. It is due for completion early 2020.
Barker Sporting Facts
- All students participate in a Summer and a Winter Sport
- Barker's sporting facilities include six ovals, 12 tennis courts, 2 Indoor Basketball courts, an astro-turf playing field, an indoor swimming pool, a full equipped Strength and Conditioning Gymnasium, dedicated Girl's gym
- Barker Performance Program (BPP) for athletes of all abilities
- Boys compete in the CAS competition (Committee of the Associated Schools)
- Girls compete in the Independent Sports' Association (ISA) Competition and in local district and community sporting competitions.
- In 2018, Barker were named CAS Champions in the boys' 1st Basketball, 1st XV Rugby, 1st XI Football, 1st Cricket Northern District Cup Joint Champions, 1st Squash Grand Finalists and in the Bungan Whale Challenge for Surf Lifesaving. Our girls enjoyed similar success with 1st Basketball winning the ISA Championship; 1st Softball won their 22nd Premiership title, Touch Football teams secured 5 Premierships, 2 Premiership titles for our Netball teams and ISA Swimming Senior Champions.
Did you know?
Rugby was first introduced in 1905. Netball and Hockey were the first girls' sports to be introduced in 1975.