For Year 9 and 10 students
In an era where digital literacy is as crucial as reading, writing, and arithmetic, the subject of Computing Technology offers a profound opportunity for students to grasp the reins of the future. This dynamic discipline, which integrates creativity, logic, and innovation, empowers students to decode and design the technologies shaping our world. From smartphones that keep us connected, to AI that is transforming industries, computing technology underpins nearly every aspect of our lives. Studying Computing Technology doesn't merely equip you with a valuable digital skill set—it opens opportunities for contribution to an evolving technological landscape.
Students who chose Computing Technology will undertake four projects throughout the year. The completion and evaluation of these projects will form the basis of the assessment for this course.
Head of Department: Colin Jaques
Year 9 Computing Technology students will explore:
- Game Development – In this unit students will start by learning the fundamentals of computer programming. They will then use these skills to design and develop their own arcade style game. Students find this topic challenging and rewarding, resulting in their own unique game and a sense of achievement.
- Internet of Things (IoT) – As more ‘smart’ devices enter our lives the IoT is becoming commonplace. This unit will allow students to explore the technologies that underpin the IoT. Students will use sensors, a wireless microcontroller and their own code to create an IoT device that can be used to remotely monitor environmental conditions via the internet.
- Data Analysis - The study of Data Analytics is pivotal in today's data-driven world. This unit provides the skills and knowledge needed to unlock insights from vast amounts of information, helping with decision-making and strategy formulation. Students will learn to use business intelligence applications to help them predict outcomes and solve problems, identify patterns and trends in large datasets.
Project 1: Game Development
Project 2: Internet of things
Project 3: Data Analysis Project
Year 10 Computing Technology students will explore:
- Emerging Networks– Identify and examine past, current and emerging networks to understand the impact their development has on individuals and the global community. Students will explore the development of these technologies and examine potential future developments.
- Algorithms to Software – Learn to design elegant and efficient code by first exploring and implementing algorithms fundamental to programming. Students use an agile process to design an algorithm, implement the solution with C# code and then refine their code after testing. A thorough analysis of User Interface (UI) principles will allow students to confidently create an application with a GUI.
- Mechatronic Programming– The prevalence of robotic technology and artificial intelligence in society is accelerating at a rapid rate. This unit will allow students to explore the technologies that underpin mechatronics and artificial intelligence. Students will use robotic sensors, a wireless microcontroller, actuators and their own code to manipulate a VEX V5 Workcell to perform factory and manufacturing automation. Following this project, students will form teams and design, prototype and build a robot that could compete in a robotics competition.
Task 1: Emerging Networks Task
Task 2: C# Programming Project
Task 3: Mechatronics Project
Task 4: Examination