Music Tuition

Music Tuition

Over 800 students receive private music tuition at Barker College. The school employs the finest instrumental and vocal teachers in Sydney. A full list of visiting music teachers employed by the school can be found on the music website.

Individual lessons are organised for students on a rotating timetable during the school day to reduce disruption to academic classes. 

Students having private lessons at school will also participate in the school’s large ensemble co-curricular program. Lessons are 30, 45 minutes or 1 hour in length. It is recommended that students of higher grades take one hour lessons to cover syllabus requirements.

Lessons are available in the following instruments and voices:

Woodwind: Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Bassoon and Saxophone

Brass: Trumpet, French Horn, Baritone, Euphonium, Trombone and Tuba

Percussion: All Orchestral Percussion instruments and Drum Kit

Keyboard: Piano, Jazz Piano and Pipe Organ

Strings: Violin, Viola, Cello and Double Bass

Guitar: Acoustic, Electric and Bass Guitar

Classical, Contemporary and Music Theatre for all voice types - Soprano, Alto, Tenor and Bass


Musicianship develops a student’s musical understanding and is tested in written form. It starts with basic concepts such as notes, scales, chords, terms and signs and in the higher grades develops compositional skills and musical understanding of works, composers, styles and instruments. Grade 4 onwards also tests aural skills. Students sit the Musicianship exam in either May or August. Please note that enrolments for Musicianship are on a separate form. Musicianship lessons are recommended for all students taking instrumental tuition and are conducted in a group or one-on-one.

Music Scholarships

Music Scholarships provide a reduction in school fees as well as a reduction in the cost of instrumental tuition. These are advertised through the Enrolments office and take place in November for entry into Years 7 and 10. Details regarding scholarship audition requirements are available through the Enrolments office.